fighting perfection.

10 minutes with my little guy on a warm spring afternoon.  He was bouncy and moving, and not wanting to listen to me.  I shot a few frames quickly from the hip, often while I was sitting or laying down.

I went in and loaded the card, and immediately I selected almost all of them to be deleted.  Reason?  They did not meet my “set” expectations.  They had movement, missed focus, some had poor composition.  Then I stopped myself and decided to give them a second chance.  Struggling, I looked beyond my own set of rules and then I saw it…..in the midst of the movement I noticed they had depth, they had life.  Besides, why so much pressure on myself?  These were personal photos!

Soooooo, here they are.  A tiny testament of the new me.  In 2010 one of my biggest things I have been working on in my struggle for balance, is differentiating points in my life in which I can lighten up the pressure on myself.

This example is just a baby step, but I am noticing a difference.

And it has been freeing.

{Here’s my boy…just REAL LIFE.}

May 21, 2010 - 2:00 pm

meredith - awww. toes. :)

May 21, 2010 - 2:39 pm

Donna - These are wonderful…would love to know what camera/lense you use for this type of “everyday” photography!

May 21, 2010 - 4:51 pm

A - I am so glad that you didn’t delete these. I think that are wonderful documentation of a boyhood afternoon. And very artistic and beautiful.

May 21, 2010 - 5:51 pm

betsy - Bravo! I need to do the same thing this year! I post SO FEW photos because they aren’t perfect. My personal collection is therefore dwindling. Shame on me!

Thanks for the reminder!

May 21, 2010 - 6:07 pm

Michelle Davies - Love the “realness” of these! The one of his little jeans with the hole in them is perfection.

May 21, 2010 - 7:28 pm

Gail - WOW. He is SOOOO your hubby! Love this post girl!

May 21, 2010 - 8:55 pm

Susan - I just found your blog a couple of weeks ago. Love it! I don’t think it’s possible for you to take a bad pic. My favorite was the one where he’s sitting with his bare feet off the ground, like they’re coming right out of the picture.

May 22, 2010 - 8:00 am

Esther - Wow your baby it growing! I too am glad you didn’t delete these, so precious!

May 23, 2010 - 7:06 pm

Aly - I discovered your blog a few weeks ago and absolutely LOVE it! I love these photos you posted! They are too cute (especially the ones with the toes :)

May 24, 2010 - 9:11 am

Stephanie - soooo glad you took a second look. those are wonderful. that little guy is certainly ‘someone’s’ mini-me. :O) i have to wonder how many of this type your sessions might like also.

May 24, 2010 - 11:23 am

Lana - Hi Jess. I don’t comment very often for the same reason you don’t think those photos are perfect. Don’t we all strugle with this perfection thing :( ( Thank you for reminding ones again that perfect moments aren’t ones I want to keep but yet tring to capture them. Why? I ask my self this question all the time. Great work BTW. I love these real moments and lil toes. Baby steps are perfect steps,we all learn to see life through them and then somehow we grow out of them. :(
Lana

May 24, 2010 - 2:37 pm

erin - your personal photos always make me cry. your family is so precious; i feel like i know you all. i’m a huge fan of all your work! (and i’m also trying to release the perfectionism crazy. good luck to you!)

May 25, 2010 - 9:50 am

holly - i just love gaba’s little jeans!

May 26, 2010 - 12:44 pm

larissa - As a testament to “real” life I personally feel these photos capture your son’s essence better than any other method. They are incredible!

April 21, 2014 - 2:37 am

Isau - Donna Bishop Buckles – My precious red heeadd grandbabies are so beautiful. Pictures are absolutely fantastic. I could just reach through the camera and squeeze them to pieces. All my love. I am so proud of them. Achoo/grandmotherhj.

February 25, 2015 - 9:03 pm

Qazwsxedcrfvtgbyhn - Hi Alana, Hope you are doing well! I was wondering if you will still be doing your Christmas seionsss at A Stone’s Throw again this year. If so, when do you advertise this? Thanks, and talk to you soon,Vanessa Pellow

April 3, 2015 - 5:55 pm

Tsukasa - Ok you haveThe VenueThe breiasmdidsThe breiasmdids dressesThe Flower girlThe flower girl’s dressThe church ( or wherever )The ringsThe vows ( if writing your own )The guests ( who is coming )The invitationsThe color schemeThe foodThe photographerThe transportYour dressThe best manThe groom’s suitThe shoe’sThe veilThe flowersThe cakeThe table decorationsThe name places ( on the table )The wedding favoursThe hen nightThe stag doThe band / singerThe song ( the first song )Hairdresser ( if you want your hair proffesionally ) Thats all i can think of but i will edit it later incase i have missed anything

May 3, 2015 - 7:44 pm

Meme - Congratulations!I just found your blog last night and spent ages reading trouhgh all your posts – your wedding pictures are absolutely stunning and your blog is awesome.Hope you have a lovely day :)

June 23, 2010 - 11:29 am

Who says they all have to be perfect? » Gail Werner Photography - [...] few weeks ago, my friend Jess of Studio3z Photography wrote a fantastic post about how she struggles to fight the tendency to make every shot “perfect.” I loved [...]